Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Grocer's Apostrophe

In my past life as a business writer, I had a bit of a reputation when it came to apostrophes. I was, shall we say, a little intolerant about the misplacement of these little creatures.

And yes, it does matter, for all of you who just asked that question.

When searching for somewhere to have lunch in lovely, downtown Williamstown today, I decided not to eat in the place that was advertising 'Fresh Soup's and Salad's". If they can't get their apostrophes correct, what chance have they of making the food edible?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Virtual Couch said...

Hmm possession is 9/10th's of your appetite?

8:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, but are apostrophes and food preparation related? And maybe, just maybe, there's something in the biological and psychological makeup of expert food-preparers that actually prevents apostrophic consciousness? Could be a frutiful PhD thesis here.

4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your photos...thank you for sharing with us, and keep on, please...


I fear you may have missed out on some good food. I tend to be a stickler about punctuation, too, but it never occurred to me there would be any correlation between quality of punctuation and quality of cooking. I do punctuation quite well, but I am no one's idea of a cook. I'd have given the soup and salad people a try. :)
-TL

11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home