Friday, February 02, 2007

Spelling grumble

I have been reading an otherwise fine book by a well-known Australian author. This author has won a Miles Franklin Award. So the writer’s credentials are exceedingly good.

Except…

The author has used the term “tee-shirt” on several occasions during the book. I cannot let this go unmentioned because it annoys me every time I have to read it.

The casual shirt to which the author refers has nothing to do with playing golf. It is a T-shirt. When it is spread out flat it forms the shape of the letter ‘T’. I will accept ‘t-shirt’. I will not accept “tee-shirt”.

And recently I saw a TV advert for “100% cotton tees.” Now that is just dumb. A 100% cotton tee wouldn’t hold the weight of the golf ball.

4 Comments:

Blogger Connex Whinger said...

Been thinking about it - is it possible that it's a Merkin spelling?

2:37 pm  
Blogger Interface said...

No, I checked. Although some US dictionaries say both spellings are acceptible. I disagree.

As my authority, I use the wisdom of Bill Walsh, editor at the Washington Post and author of Lapsing into a Comma.

http://www.theslot.com/teeball.html

2:58 pm  
Blogger Sharon Carpenter said...

I take this opportunity to remind you of a certain person we both know who applies an apostrophe to every single instance of the i-t-s letter combination regardless of its (it's!) application

:-)

12:17 pm  
Blogger Interface said...

And on some occasions...

its'

2:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home