Wednesday, June 06, 2007

What I did on my holidays...

I have come back from the Malta/Sicily/Dubai trip with a large number of photographs I am now sorting through. Most of the time I kept the ‘walking around’ lens, the 28 – 135 IS lens, on the camera. I used the wide angle a few times and the 70 – 200 zoom hardly at all.

The Vosonic X-mate image tank worked very well. Plug in a card, turn it on, wait for it to identify the card type and ask if you want to back it up, click ‘Yes’ and away it goes. It backs up a full CF card much faster than uploading the card to the laptop. It also creates a new folder each time you plug in a card so that you can’t accidentally overwrite any files.

As each card filled, I backed it up to the Vosonic and then to the lap top to make sure I had a good chance of getting a complete set home. The Vosonic travelled in my backpack with the camera and the laptop went in a suitcase or was carried as hand luggage.

We carried adapter plugs with us so we were able to run the laptop and recharge camera batteries, the Vosonic and our phones at all stops. Much more civilised than the Milford Sound hike.

Next time I travel I will have to seriously review what I take. The 70 – 200 L series lens is superb, but very heavy to carry. It takes my carry-on backpack right to the 7Kg limit for cabin baggage and it is heavy to carry when walking around sightseeing. Considering the number of times I used it (on most days there was so much haze that photographing distant objects wasn’t possible) it really wasn’t worth the effort.

One of the disappointments of the trip: I was looking forward to photographing some of the amazing buildings and architecture in Dubai. We have all seen those photos with the wonderful blue skies and bright sunshine. I don’t know when those photos are taken, but while we were there, the air was so think I could barely see the buildings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home