Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Friend Flickr

It has been a while since I posted. During that time I was kept busy learning how to drive Flickr. It took a little while to upload enough photographs for my account to be approved as suitable and made public. I also read up on the benefits of posting groups and contacts and indicating photographs are ‘favorites’. I read an article by Thomas Hawk on how to become known on Flickr. By the time my photostream was public I was all set to go.

I posted some images in a couple of groups. I searched for and found some images that I liked. I marked them as favourites and made some nice comments about them. And those photographers returned the compliment and looked at my photos and made some nice comments.

It continued in this fashion for a few days and I was enjoying it, and then…

I added the Canola Fields image on February 28th. By that time I had a small group of people who were regularly looking at my work. I also added the image to the Australia Photographers pool and the Landscape and Nature pool.


People started looking at the image and commenting. I got invited to add it to several ‘by invitation only’ groups. One of those had several levels of membership, based on how many group members liked it. I eventually hit the highest level in that group.

As the day progressed the number of views and comments and awards grew. Each day the Flicker people record and display the top 500 images on the Explore page. During the day, I got a mail from a new contact saying it had just gone into the top 20 for the day. As that Flickr averages 20,000 image submissions per minute, I have been told, that ain’t bad.

Canola Fields briefly made it to the main image on the Explore page and finished the day at number 43. It currently has 1226 views, 73 comments and 111 people have marked it as a favourite. Last time I looked it was still in the top 50 for that day. It is still getting the occasional comment.

Those few days were addictive. I had trouble walking away from the computer because I wanted to see if there had been any new views, any new comments. Had more people selected it as a favourite?

I can see how people get attracted to playing the Flickr interestingness (as they call it) game; looking for fame and attention. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is a great photograph, just that a number of people who like that type of image have seen it.

There are a lot of very good, very knowledgeable photographers on Flickr. In fact the display of talent is awe inspiring and humbling. There are also a lot of very generous, charming folks. There are also overwhelming numbers of amateurs, wannabees, people posting their holiday snaps for Auntie Emma and just plain wankers.

Conclusion? Flickr will be the way forward for me, so I will shut down the photoblog. But I don’t want to find myself taking and uploading photos purely to gain Flickr brownie points and therefore feature in Explore. I will be trying to concentrate on improving my images and will be attempting to contact and work with other serious photographers. That’s the plan. Stay tuned.

Visit me on Flickr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home